The Dessert I will be serving at the Dinner Party for my Grandparents: Set Custard, Strawberry Jelly, Macerated Strawberries, Meringues and Mint Leaves.
Main Course for the Dinner Part I’m doing for my Grandparents: Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin, Cider Braised Pork Belly, Black Pudding Purée, Dauphinoise Potatoes and Salt Baked Carrots.
This is the proposed Starter for the Dinner Party I’m doing for my Grandparents: Sous Vide Duck Egg, Pea Panna Cotta, Crispy Parma Ham and Croutons.
At the end of May I’m doing a dinner party for my Grandparents and some of their friends. I am thinking up of ideas for a series of After Dinner Drinks themed Petit Fours: Earl Grey Meringues, Coffee Macaroons and Liquid Centred Whiskey Sweets.
I will also post entries with the other courses.
On Saturday the 5th of April I did my first ever Work Experience at the Camellia Restaurant at South Lodge Hotel, just outside of Horsham. The offer was given to me by Lewis Hamblet, Executive Chef at South Lodge, who’s son (Tom) was a fellow competitor at the Rotary Young Chef Competition.
This is basically a sweetened, frozen Gin and Tonic that is then scraped into small flakes and served. It could be served as a dessert or as I did, a palate cleanser.
500ml Tonic Water
200g Caster Sugar
1 Lemon, juice and zest
For the Granita
1. Make a syrup by dissolving the Sugar into the Water over a medium heat. Once dissolved add the Gin, Tonic, Lemon Juice and the Lemon Zest.
2. Pour into a freezer proof plastic box and leave to cool to room temperature. Put in the freezer and freeze.
3. After an hour use a fork and scrape the frozen granita. Return to the freezer and freeze until solid.
4. To serve, scrape the frozen granita and serve in glasses or clean jam jars.
Drop Scones are a small pancake like batter dish. They are called drop scones because the batter should ‘drop’ of the whisk.
125g Plain Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
25g Caster Sugar
2 Eggs, beaten
25g Melted Butter
Oil, for frying
1. Put the Flour, Salt and Baking powder in a bowl and whisk through with a balloon whisk to remove any lumps. Add the Sugar and make a well in the middle.
2. Start mixing in the egg and milk until you get a smooth batter that drops off the whisk. Heat some oil in a frying pan. And drop tablespoons of the mixture into the pan. Fry until the bottoms are brown and then flip.
3. Serve hot with Jam or Honey
The Camellia Restaurant is located at the South Lodge Hotel, just outside of Horsham. The hotel has 2 Restaurants, the Camellia and the Pass. The Head chef is Steven Edwards who recently won Masterchef the Professionals. We went for Sunday Lunch as our late Christmas present from my grandparents.
On February 11th, I competed in round 3 of the Rotary Young Chef Competition at Forest School in Horsham. The requirements were the same as the ones for the last round. To cook a healthy 2 course meal for 2 people on a £15 Budget. I changed my menu for this round to:
Tea and Whiskey Cured Salmon, Lemon Fennel, Radish, Pea Shoots
Venison Ravioli, Mushroom Consommé, Parmesan Crisp
Chocolate Orange Fondant, Stewed Oranges, Creme Fraiche